+61 2 8628 7973       info@wsc.nsw.edu.au
Image Alt

Living In Australia

Living in Australia

Australia is one of the safe and best countries in the world to live, study and grow. Australia is the sixth largest nation in the world by area and the biggest island nation. Being an international student in Australia means you can rely on receiving world class education as Australia continues to be a top study destination for international students.

Sydney is the state capital of New South Wales and the most populous city in Australia. It has emerged as a global financial, cultural and education hub for people from all over the world. Sydney is culturally and ethnically diverse and is home to approximately 5.1 million people and is surrounded by beautiful harbours, beaches, parks, museums.

Overseas Student Health Cover

All international students must have adequate health insurance known as Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the entire duration of the visa to cover them and their family members during they stay in Australia. This is one of the student visa condition. Department of Home Affairs requires international student to purchase OSHC before they arrive in Australia.

OSHC is provided by below registered health insurers;

Health Insurer

Insurers website

ahm OSHC


BUPA Australia


Medibank Private




Allianz Global Assistance (Lysaght Peoplecare)


Medical treatment in Australia is expensive and many of the unforeseen accident or sickness, your insurance may cover most of the expenses. OSHC can assist international students to meet the costs of medical and hospital care if needed while in Australia. OSHC will also pay limited benefits for pharmaceuticals and ambulance services.

OSHC does not pay for general treatment (ancillary, or extra cover) such as dental, optical or physiotherapy. If you or your family members would like to be covered for these treatments, you will need to buy extra covers. Please contact your OSHC provider for any additional cover.

Western Sydney College is proud to partner with BUPA as the leading health insurance provider in Australia and we are able to arrange OSHC on behalf of our students.

For more information, please visit;





International students are required to arrange temporary accommodation for their initial period in Australia until permanent accommodation can be established. Temporary accommodation can be a hotel, hostel or a share accommodations. Students can find temporary accommodation through:

  • https://www.gumtree.com.au/
  • https://www.airbnb.com.au
  • https://www.bedssi.com/

International students are also able to rent an apartments or flats and the costs varies depending on the conditions and the location. For rental properties please visit;

If you know someone in Australia, this is a great way to settle into life here. Your friends or family can provide advice, support and encouragement during your initial days in Australia.

For more information regarding accommodation, please contact admissions@wsc.nsw.edu.au

Living Expenses

International students are required to demonstrate and/or declare that they have genuine access to sufficient funds to be granted a Student visa. This includes funds to cover tuition fees, living and travel expenses. Students may have to demonstrate sufficient funds to cover these expenses for themselves and their accompanying family members while staying in Australia.

From 1st February 2018, Student visa holders and their family members must have access to the following funds to meet the living costs requirements:

  • The Student – $20,290/year
  • Partner or Spouse – $7,100 /year
  • Each Child – $3,040/year

For more information please visit;